Username Password: Remember me

View device specific template
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: View device specific template

View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7906

• chun96
  • Fresh Boarder
I know that I can view my website displaying in iPhone by typing the url: www.<mysite>.com/?device=iphone
Can I view other device specific template by typing another url in my browser?

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7907

• Barnabas

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7908

• chun96
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. What do "xhtml" and "chtml" stands for? Also, will there be any problem if I use only one template for all mobile devices?

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7909

• Barnabas
xhtml is for smart phones, chtml is for less intelligent phones. You can use the same template for iphones and xhtml. The other types of mobile will not understand the protocol. (There is no "one template to rule them all").

Have a look at
www.mobilejoomla.com/forum/7-installation-a-upgrade/7494-unclear-on-need-for-sub-domain.html#7497
It may give you an overview of what is happening.

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7910

• chun96
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. What is "iMode"?
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by chun96.

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7911

• C00L
  • Administrator
A protocol used in Japan

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-mode

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7912

• Barnabas
While MJ was being developed, Mobile phone and network people were inventing and upgrading ways of communicating with mobile phones. "Standards" were evolving, so MJ was trying to hit a moving target.
MJ support is in 4 flavours; iPhone, XHTML, CHTML, WAP
One of the earliest protocols was WAP Wireless Application protocol, which allowed text and button pushing to choose options. Then came imode, a protocol which allowed web access, email and data access. imode shared some things with chtml (fixed internet data formats based on HTML), and the option in MJ is evolving to be called CHTML but you can still see the imode name in various places. (imode was used in Japan). The people supporting websites have a problem in that there are a lot of the early style mobile phones out there (and visiting websites), but they will never be able to do what the later phones can do. As phones got more software and more memory and touch screens and so on, so the protocols to communicate with them had to evolve or get a new protocol with all the wizzy options. XHTML was developed for these types of phones. And then there is the iPhone which is different. BUT people with phones want them to do all the things that other makes of phone can do. So XHTML based phones can understand iPhone protocols. But chtml/imode and WAP are not capable of using those protocols.
Hope that helps.

Re: View device specific template 12 years, 1 month ago #7913

• chun96
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks!!!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.