Username Password: Remember me

Pop Up Ads
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pop Up Ads

Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16593

• rawkgoat
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not sure if this comes from Mobile Joomla or where.  I administrate the site www.ppwc.org for a church.  We have used mobile joomla for about 6 months now and currently have the "Free" version with the ad rotator at the bottom of the page.  While we had been considering paying to have the ads removed, we have not yet done so as they are for the most part unobtrusive.  

Recently however, android devices have started returning a pop up screen to download Candy Crush Saga.  This only happens when browsing ppwc.org on the mobile site... it does not occur on the "desktop" site on the same android device.  I have tested the site with a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3 (stock browser), An Asus Tablet TF101 running Android 4.0.3 (stock browser), and a Windows 8 PC Firefox browser 25.0.1 with User Agent Switcher set to mimic Android 4.1.2 - Chrome 30.3  All three devices pull up the pop up add with the text 

"Our site is sponsored by Candy Crush Saga  Download it now for FREE!"

Clicking cancel allows one to view the site fine.  Clicking "OK" directs to adtrack.king.com and then redirects immediately to download Candy Crush from the Google Play Store (appears to be the legit version).  

This pop-up is EXTREMELY obtrusive and we need to have it removed.  Is this something from Mobile Joomla?  Will paying for the ad-removal plugin remove this?  Is there anything we can do to look into this issue further and figure out what code is causing this popup?

Site www.ppwc.org
Host: 1and1.com
Joomla version 1.5.22

screenshot.jpg

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16595

• miikka
  • Senior Boarder
  • Building Mobile Joomla! partnerships
Yes, that's Mobile Joomla's ad. (If you close it, it won't reappear for at least 24h. We are also planning other caps.) We are testing new ad formats and collecting feedback.
And yes, the ad can be removed by upgrading to the Basic version.

Best,
Miikka

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16607

• rawkgoat
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry, I just don't want to buy the wrong thing that isn't what I would need.  

Do I need the "Remove Support Ads"
www.mobilejoomla.com/extension/advertising/remove-support-ads.html

or "Joomla Basic"
www.mobilejoomla.com/extension/get/mobile-joomla-basic.html

Thanks for any further assistance you can provide.

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16618

• miikka
  • Senior Boarder
MJ Basic is the recommended new version: www.mobilejoomla.com/extension/get/mobile-joomla-basic.html

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16641

• caloryfrio
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I have the same problem with the "candy crust". I have bought the new basic version. Is there any configuration to do to avoid those massages?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16668

• dryabov
  • Administrator
  • Denis Ryabov, Lead Developer
caloryfrio, check that domain name of your website exactly match domain name you set in order form (and to domain name in "Desktop URL" parameter in Advanced tab of MJ settings page). And note that ad code may be cached by your browser, so try to clear cache or check website in other browser.

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 4 months ago #16679

• etrust
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, have ads on my footer and have buy the basic product. I setup the wrong domain on the order. Please help me to solve my problem

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 3 months ago #16757

• willows
  • Fresh Boarder
To retrospectively activate this "feature" is paramount to a hijacking of a site.

How many more do you plan to monetize in the future without warning or notice to users.
Can I be sure that if I take a pro version of this I will not be held to ransom later. I am not so sure after this.

I do understand this is on the free version and everyone has to earn their money and cannot work for free but .......

Unfortunately you are not on your own in hijacking Joomla installations.

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 3 months ago #16759

• miikka
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for your comment, we are looking for feedback like this as a part of the trial. It is indeed a balancing act, and for these ads the occurrence is set to rather rare intervals.

Our intention is not to mislead anyone - we've always had a clearly stated policy that the free version may display ads, while premium versions do not. We could emphasize that and improve communications overall though, agreed.

Re: Pop Up Ads 10 years, 2 months ago #16903

• epaulsen5
  • Fresh Boarder
I would like to echo the frustration. I'm the 7th grade teacher/technology director at our church and school. I've had this installed for over two years without having this sort of intrusion. As a non-profit, there out to be a way for us to opt out of these ads. At the very least, the ad shouldn't make the false claim that the site is sponsored by Candy Crush Saga. It is, in fact, mobile joomla that is sponsored by CCS and it should state so plainly.
---
Eric
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.