Link back to desktop not working correctly
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Link back to desktop not working correctly

Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17116

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

So I have the plugin, it is working like a charm, but I am having one small issue. 

Joomla version: 3.2.0
Mobile Joomla Version: basic 1.2.8

See the error here: www.coconino.edu

The following issue only occurs for desktop users.

Frequently asked questions did not address this issue.

I have two links at the footer for both my mobile and desktop version (it is the same menu for both) of my website: Desktop   |   Mobile, on the phone the two links work great. The mobile visitor clicks on desktop and gets the desktop version of the website. If the mobile visitor wants to return back to the mobile version they click on Mobile and they go back to the mobile version.

However, the desktop user does not experience this. When the desktop visitor clicks on the Mobile link they are directed to the mobile site, but when this same user clicks on the desktop link it does not direct them back to the desktop version, it keeps them on the mobile site. For whatever reason once the desktop visitor is on the mobile version the link for the desktop link changes...it is no longer: index.php/?device=desktop, but instead has the same link as the mobile: index.php/?device=xhtml. The desktop user has to clear their cache in order to get the desktop version back.

The two links (Desktop and Mobile) arethe same menu for both templates assigned to module position: website-version. they are not two separate menus. Desktop is set as an external link: index.php/?device=desktop, and the Mobile is: = index.php/?device=xhtml.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Morgan
Last Edit: 10 years ago by mwbaggs.

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17120

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone?

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17121

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
So for whatever reason if I change my external link for the desktop link from: index.php/?device=desktop TO www.coconino.edu/?device=desktop. It works, but of course it does not resolve the user back to the page the user was currently viewing, instead sends them back to the homepage.
Last Edit: 10 years ago by mwbaggs.

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17122

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
For now I will have to use the "solution" above - but this should not be considered a "SOLUTION" - the user should be not redirected from the page they are currently viewing when switching between mobile and desktop versions. I am disappointed in the support for this component/plugin/module and have stated as much in my review.

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17123

• dryabov
  • Administrator
  • Denis Ryabov, Lead Developer
Do you use 3rdparty SEF extension? (or an extension that might process URLs manually)

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17124

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello dryabov,

I am not using any 3rd party SEF extensions. I am only using the default SEO settings provided by Joomla.

As stated above, what is weird is on the initial setup (described in my first post) both links work correctly when visiting on an actual mobile device. When you use the links on a desktop however, the links work, until you switch to mobile on a desktop. Once on the mobile site through a desktop machine the desktop link is changed to /?device=xhtml.

If need be I can switch back the links how I original had them so that you can see the issue first hand.

Thanks,

Morgan

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17125

• dryabov
  • Administrator
In Chrome both ?device=desktop and index.php/?device=desktop works well to switch from mobile to desktop version. What browser do you use?

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17126

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
I have tested in Chrome, IE, Safari, Opera, and Firefox. I have reverted back the links to how they were setup in my original post. I have also attached screenshots of the changing URL.

This only occurs on non-mobile devices, i.e. desktop, laptop, etc.

The link URL's do not change on the mobile site and work as expected on mobile devices, i.e. smartphone, iphone, etc.

Thanks,

Morgan
Attachments:

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17127

• dryabov
  • Administrator
Could you list all settings of Select Markup modules (by default there are two instances of this module: one in footer position and other in mj_all_footer)?

Re: Link back to desktop not working correctly 10 years ago #17132

• mwbaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't fully understand your question.  I created a custom template using my own module positions to match inline with module positions of my desktop version of the website. On the configuration for each device I have cleared the Template Modules - screenshot provided.

here is the footer code of my template:
 <footer>
      <div class="version">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="website-version" style="none" />
      </div>            
        <div id="disclaimer">
            <jdoc:include type="modules" name="disclaimer" style="none" />
        </div>
        <div id="copyright" class="clear-both">
            <jdoc:include type="modules" name="copyright" style="none" />
        </div>
</footer>
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.