Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT

Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 12 years, 4 months ago #6745

• robbrad182
  • Fresh Boarder
Since installing Mobile joomla my site has now got 100's of duplicate title tags and duplicate description tags in google webmaster tools - Duplicate meta descriptions 2,014 - Duplicate title tags 2,007 and example is
www.thewedding.uk.com/photographers/cumbria/aperture-photography.html and www.thewedding.uk.com/photographers/cumbria/aperture-photography.html?device=desktop - how can I fix this so ?device=desktop is not displayed ? or has a diffrent tag line?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArtWallpaper

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 12 years, 4 months ago #6761

• alexeei
  • Fresh Boarder
Have the same issue and also want to know how to fix it.

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 12 years, 3 months ago #6810

• topbges
  • Fresh Boarder
Well... go to google webmaster tools and select the questioned website you have this problem with. From the left menu choose:

Site configuration>URL parameters

Then, just find the "device" parameter and click edit on the right. Tell googlebot that this parameter changes the content and not to crawl urls with this parameter. Markup links are no-follow, anyway. I don't know why this happens in the first place. I have this problem, too.
If a mobile user finds your website in google search, when they open it, if you have set up the MJ right, they should get automatically redirected to the most suitable version for their device. Beware of htaccess or webconfig misconfiguration in your website directories. I guess that's it.

If you guys have a better suggestion, let me know.

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 12 years, 3 months ago #6855

• dryabov
  • Administrator
  • Denis Ryabov, Lead Developer
"?device=..." urls come from Select Markup module, but this urls have rel="nofollow" attribute, so I don't know how it's happened that urls have been indexed by Google.
It's not a problem for mobile versions of site (that is "?device=iphone" etc), because of they have rel="canonical" tag. But "?device=desktop" urls really can be indexed by Google because of MJ doesn't affect desktop version of the site.

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 12 years, 3 months ago #6876

• topbges
  • Fresh Boarder
you can try to echo the website index instead of device desktop

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 11 years, 10 months ago #9814

• ilovenb
  • Fresh Boarder
Have you guys resolved this issue?

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 11 years, 10 months ago #9815

• topbges
  • Fresh Boarder
well... yes... just tell search engines not to crawl urls with that parameter

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 11 years, 10 months ago #9928

Thanks you bud.

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 11 years, 10 months ago #10029

• evalewis
  • Fresh Boarder
I have one more solution realated to this
If you add rel="canonical" labels throughout your website, it will eliminate the ?fontstyle=f-smaller" design URLs from the look for catalog.

Once they appear to have been eliminated, which you can examine using a look for like [site:www.domain.com inurl:fontstyle], I would suggest that you prevent that design of URL in your spiders.txt to quit google from moving those ineffective URLs.

Re: Duplicate title tags and Duplicate meta tags in Google WMT 11 years, 9 months ago #10834

• wwtan
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the duplicate tags and I see ?device=xhtml in webmaster tools...

where does xhtml point to?

Can I tell webmaster tools not to index it? Will there be a problem?

Any advice appreciated.
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by wwtan.
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.