Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

why do you want a subdomain??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: why do you want a subdomain??

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #563

I just testing this cool comp out and just currious why would i want to make my joomla site a Sub domain, for mobi?

If i do - do i just link the sub domain back to the main JOOMLA site.. or do most run a SECOND joomla site just for there mobile clients?

Just trying to wrap my head around this new technology..

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2412

• miohtama
  • Expert Boarder
1) You can advertise mobile subdomain URL in print and other media material

2) subdomain will present mobile version always - even for new devices not covered by device databases (Wurlf)

3) subdomain allows you easily to debug and develop mobile theme

4) subdomain is an industry best practice (m.google.com, m.facebook.com)

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2420

thanks for post.

Do i need to run a second Joomla? or do I point my subdomain back to my main ROOT..

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2423

• miohtama
  • Expert Boarder
No second Joomla! needed. You configure subdomains in MJ settings.

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2430

• stgeorge
  • Fresh Boarder
This all makes no sense.
I created the sub domains.
All I get is the blank directory.
Am I supposed to copy the whole site into every sub domain.
I pointed each device to my home page in settings.
The original post makes sense.
Why create sub domains when you could simply create an alias menu item in a Mobile menu and copy all the links you wish to use for mobile into the mobile menu?

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2434

• CptLeon
  • Fresh Boarder
If you intend to use sub-domains, you will need to redirect your sub-domains to your root web directory -- do not make CNAM's as they do not appear to work. If you are using cPanel, you create your sub-domains and set their folders to your /public_html folder.

Mobile Joomla working well on my test site: http://m.test.comphubcaps.net

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 5 months ago #2437

Hello, I am trying to setup mobile joomla on test.imaginet.com.ph which is the test site for our live site www.imaginet.com.ph

I have created an A record for pda.imaginet.com.ph pointing to the same IP address as test.imaginet.com.ph is on the domain manager.

I have also created the subdomain settings in my hosting manager for pda.imaginet.com.ph.

In my joomla Mobile Joomla settings I have pda.imaginet.com.ph and iphone.imaginet.com.ph as smartphone and iphone domains, respectively.

However I still can't get anything on the URLs. What am I doing wrong?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jungeconsult, bucknla

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 3 months ago #2785

• maszaza
  • Fresh Boarder
hi anyone,
can help me. my joomla not working on joomla mobile 0.9.9, please help me step- by step tutorial,
Anyone help me?
thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: gepenk_caem

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 2 months ago #2861

• ardesigns
  • Fresh Boarder
it actually does make sense. you make a subdomain. have it point to the same directory as the main domain, and in mobile joomla's global settings, change the domain name to the subdomain (or if you have a second website that you reserved just for mobile internet, use that instead of the subdomain). in your cpanel for your internet browser, you tell it that the subdomain points to the same directory as your main domain.

we have several domains that all point to the same website right now. for a short while, we had mistakenly pointed all site names to the same directory. when someone looked at site1.com, and then at site2.com, they saw the same exact things, but the site name was different (now we simply have everything forwarded to site1.com, and when they look at site2.com, the url is changed to site1.com). mobile joomla will notice when someone with a mobile device looks at your site and tell it to go to mobile.site1.com (your subdomain). they will see your website, but it will be filtered so they see only a mobile ready website.

if that didn't make sense, how about this...

server should be set to:
domain name: site.com - directory:/main
subdomain name: mobile.site.com - directory:/main
or
secondary site name: othersite.com - directory:/main (only works if both sites are hosted on same server account)

set mobile joomla to domain name:mobile.site.com for iphone users (just an example)

regular computer users see normal website.
iphone users see iphone website
The following user(s) said Thank You: taghioff, shakkira

why do you want a subdomain?? 13 years, 2 months ago #2867

• junsve
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmm,
What does the subdomain settings add, apart from the fun of having www. and m.?
Doesn't the site automatically choose the right template based on the device used?

I would like the mobile users to choose between normal template at www. and iphone or smartphone template at m.
Can I achieve that and in that case how should I do with my subdomain settings in DNS, on the webserver and in MJ?

Thanks in advance

/Sven
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.