Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Mobile without subdomains
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mobile without subdomains

Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3578

I've read all the FAQ in this site but I yet can't figure it out how to make work this component. My hosting service allows me to create subdomains but I can't point them to specific folder. So I've tried to make it work without it on "domain support" I set NO but it yet doesn't work. What can I do?

Re: Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3581

• dryabov
  • Administrator
  • Denis Ryabov, Lead Developer
Ask your hoster to assist you in this issue. Some services allow to add "aliases" to main domain or to setup wildcard subdomain support (e.g. *.domain.com).

Re: Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3593

• wxdude
  • Fresh Boarder
Hope I'm posting in the right topic. Installed the extension tonight and am having trouble. I use bluehost... the following is from a live chat with one of their tech support people:

"Jason: [9:33:11 PM] well, it creates subdomains (which may be the issue) for various devices... for instance, on my iPhone I'm redirected to iphone.dsmweather.com ... get an error message saying "safari can't open the page because the server can't be found"
Brandon: [9:33:46 PM] Okay, and are those sub-domains created in the cPanel as well?
Jason: [9:34:09 PM] nope... wasn't sure how to proceed. forgive me as i went to public school
Brandon: [9:34:46 PM] Okay, the Sub-Domains may be the issue then. It sounds like it uses WildCard subdomains or WildCard DNS which we don't support on our system
Jason: [9:36:03 PM] so what should i do?
Brandon: [9:38:06 PM] Are you able to contact the Mobile Joomla plugin developers? Because they might have an alternative way to set it up without the use of Wildcard sub-domains. Other then that, it won't run configured like that on our system"

Re: Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3594

• dryabov
  • Administrator
Mobile Joomla doesn't "creates subdomains for various devices", it allows you to use existing subdomains for mobile site version. It's not necessary to use wilcard dns, you can try to setup aliases for main domain or to setup subdomains to point to the directory of the main domain (seems cpanel supports last way).

Re: Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3637

dryabov wrote:
Mobile Joomla doesn't "creates subdomains for various devices", it allows you to use existing subdomains for mobile site version. It's not necessary to use wilcard dns, you can try to setup aliases for main domain or to setup subdomains to point to the directory of the main domain (seems cpanel supports last way).

I've tried with that in my .htaccess file but it doesn't work

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^iphone.mysite.it$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ www.mysite.it/$1 [R=301,L]

Re: Mobile without subdomains 13 years, 1 month ago #3646

• dryabov
  • Administrator
valentino86 wrote:
I've tried with that in my .htaccess file but it doesn't work

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^iphone.mysite.it$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ www.mysite.it/$1 [R=301,L]

This way shouldn't work, of course. Use one of two abovementioned ways (alias or same dir).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.