Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

how to override main site menu with mobile site menu
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 12 months ago #4142

would you consider having a look at my site? I too am having a heck of time getting this to work

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4164

• pavan
  • Fresh Boarder
Both menus are displaying for me.. mobile_menu and the main menu.. Can you guys pls help me. Am I missing anything..

I would like to be more specific... I have an website in joomla. now I want that mobile version of that website..

I had decided to have another domain for the mobile version like m.mysite.com..

I had downloaded and installed mobile joomla on my joomla installation.. and created menu... buth both menu's are displaying mobile_menu and main menu..

Please give me advices..

Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by pavan.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4167

• Barnabas
What is the url of the site?
Thanks.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4168

• pavan
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your quick reply..

demos.icymic.com/janet

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4228

Wow can this be more confusing !? U guys at MJ need to work on your EXPLAINATIONS.

This is how to assign a menu as main menu of the mobile site.

Go to Extensions -> Manager  -------??   NO SUCH THING!!

Filter by module and choose any of existing mobile menu modules. You can find them by looking position of mj_iphone_middle, mj_wap_footer or mj_pda_header2.Click moduleOn right hand, in menu drop down choose Mobile Menu (the menu you just created)You can also delete extra created mobile_menu module created above if you are just going to override the existing main menu.

Have you noticed that people are having problems understanding what you are talking about??
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by stephen Smith.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4229

• Barnabas
Hi Stephen,
Sorry you are having a hard time. I will look at this later tonight and put together some pictures.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4249

• Barnabas
Suppose you have a menu with the following items

and you want to show it as

Then you would create a menu with a reduced number of items. Suppose it is called Mobile-Menu.
Here are the default menus in the demo Joomla site.

Copy the Main Menu using normal Joomla backend commands.

Create the Mobile version of Main Menu.

Then you need to edit the items in the new menu by pulling down and clicking on the new menu.

Unpublish two items.

Click on extensions and a pull down will appear. Click on Module Manager.

You need to be able to see the modules you will be working on, so put menu in the filter.

Joomla tries to be helpful and creates an entry for the new Mobile-Menu, but it publishes it to the pc....
So you need to disable it.

so it looks like this.

You will need to edit all 4 mobile types, but this example is just showing the PDA.

This looks like this. Notice the drop down choice of menus. Also the name on the left is still Main Menu. This is important if you are showing the title of the menu, because it is still the Main Menu for the mobile.

So the menu option is now pointing to the mobile version of the main menu.

Save and you are done.
You can now see the PDA view is using the new menu by viewing the site with a mobile, or an emulator/user agent switcher.

Hope this helps.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4253

Can't get any clearer than that. I already got it figured out awhile ago barnabas, you where correct the emulator / simulator was wrong. I changed simulators and voila. As you said it basically works out of the box. Anyhow, good explaination.

TBG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barnabas

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4254

• Barnabas
You are welcome. Thanks for posting the result.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 12 years, 11 months ago #4264

• chris.new
  • Fresh Boarder
Menus are really a burden when creating your mobile web site as there could be ton of requirements for you to accomplish them. When I first made mine, I had to one for each of the templates of mobile menu.

Though, most would only require limited to almost no change, you have to find the specific parameters for each module you create.
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.