Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

how to override main site menu with mobile site menu
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 11 years, 2 months ago #13236

• neo314
  • Fresh Boarder
neo314 wrote:
This is a question I am trying to get an answer to on this subject. I also posted it in the Joomla forum as it is kind of a general Joomla question, but it also directly relates to this subject and someone here may have the answer I'm looking for.

I have a main menu, and because I am using mobile Joomla, I have a hidden menu that is also a main menu. This second menu is assigned a location on the mobile template and the main menu has no location on the mobile template.

Here is the problem. It is more of an annoyance than problem. I'm using Joomla 2.5 built in SEF links BTW.

The alias' for items on the mobile menu can't be the same as the alias' for the main menu, so they are the same with an added -mobile (e.g. Main Menu Alias: home-page; Mobile Menu Alias: home-page-mobile).

Many links generated inside articles, linked titles, modules, etc. on the desktop website have taken the alias from the mobile menu instead of the ones they used originally from the main menu.

Is there any way to control this? Is there any better way to link content to the same articles on a different meny that does not have this problem.

Does no one have any response to this? Long ago, Joomla did not validate the alias, so one could force different menus to have the same alias as long as they did not conflict, but not now. I am finding more of the article links and VM generated links to be containing the mobile alias tag (page-alias-mobile) on the non-mobile website. Seems there should be a way to force the desktop version to be the default.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 10 months ago #14739

• andpuxa
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello.
Everything works, here are just my menu is displayed initially.
I would initially show only 1 level menu, and the second only by pressing the user to the point that he needed. how to do this? And is it possible?

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 10 months ago #14741

• neo314
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not sure I understand your question. I have not looked at this for a while, but I think the best answer is to follow the procedure of the alternate menu that only shows on the mobile template and use menu alias for the menu items instead of new menu items that mimic the desktop site's menu.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 10 months ago #14742

I am trying to do the same thing, but unfortunatly without positive results.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 10 months ago #14744

• andpuxa
  • Fresh Boarder
Strictly speaking, there is simply no function of the dropdown menu. It is the default and level 2 is always shown. And I would like to have the function of dropdown.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 10 months ago #14745

• neo314
  • Fresh Boarder
Aleksanderv wrote:
I am trying to do the same thing, but unfortunatly without positive results.

There is no dropdown in a mobile view. Do you mean an expanding menu or a dialog. Those are really your options. This thread was about trying not to get the alias' screwed up by having a separate mobile menu that shows on the mobile template only vs the menu that displays on the desktop. I did not return to post the solution (sorry), but the solution was to use alias' for the mobile menu items from the main menu rather than create new menu items.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 10 years, 2 months ago #16874

I can't see this -
Choose Main Menu -> Copy
in my menu manager. How & where can i find that. I am using Joomla! 3.0.3 Stable.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 9 years, 7 months ago #17755

• intermezzo
  • Fresh Boarder
gauravishere wrote:
I can't see this -
Choose Main Menu -> Copy
in my menu manager. How & where can i find that. I am using Joomla! 3.0.3 Stable.

Joomla 2.5 and newer versions don't have the same menus or interface as the older versions. The ones described here are using Joomla 1.5 (I think) or older than 1.5.

I know the instructions are not Rocket Science for many, but I do hope they're more newbie-friendly.

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 9 years, 7 months ago #17770

• neiltubman
  • Fresh Boarder
This all works well when you understand what's going on. The problem is the instructions. There are now 27k views for this topic, so it's obvious that many, many people have had the same kind of problems with getting it working.

The instructions look like they are for Joomla 1.5. It's quite different for Joomla 2.5.

It's a shame the instructions are so brief and out of date, as the software is pretty impressive when you get it working. It took me half a day of reading this forum and then experimenting before I got it up and running but now it works well.

Neil

Re: how to override main site menu with mobile site menu 9 years, 1 month ago #18297

• mtechama
  • Fresh Boarder
We need an updated version for this mod. Because there is now New Menu>Copy in the latest version of Joomla.
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.