Username Password: Remember me

I would just like to say...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: I would just like to say...

I would just like to say... 13 years, 12 months ago #278

• Clone
  • Fresh Boarder
I would just like to say thanks to the Dev team of MobileJoomla. I read pretty much all of the forum while I was working out how to get it working. There were a lot of complaints about the lack of documentation. While I was struggling to get my head round the application, I was also cursing the documentation situation.

I'm not too smart and I only have a basic knowledge of css, php and all that jazz. Playing with Joomla is a hobby for me. I have created quite a few sites for various people, who have small companies and next to no budget for IT stuff. If it weren't for the spirit of the open source community and projects like this my hobby would be no fun! The people I develop sites for, wouldn't have sites of the quality they have and the world would be far less pleasant place.

I actually managed to get your package up and running with out looking at the WIKI, which was amazing! I have no mobile devices for testing, I had no clue what to expect would happen my knowledge of mobile integration is nill. I was pulling my hair out for a while to be honest. I had a friend in Canada testing for me on his iTouch - his communication skills in respect to IT are some what limited.

One forum post in particular really helped me out. For whatever reason I managed to crash the MobileJoomla plugin. Which meant nothing was going as expected, after deactivating the plugin and then simply reactivating it, the whole shooting match sprang to life. So maybe there should be a note in the WIKI about that issue.

It wasn't obvious to me that there were so many new modules installed in the backend! Once I discovered them the whole thing stepped up another gear getting the menu sorted was a highlight. ) I think a little more info in the note after the installation has completed, would help. Something talking about all the additions, would help the average Joomla user like me get up and running. Once I knew they were there, I could poke and prod about - I could have got going faster had I known they were all there. If I had checked the WIKI I would have found them OK...but hey I'm like everyone else who never rtfm's! The WIKI is a little cryptic for a dim wit like me though!

The one thing I'm not really sure about is the method of redirection. Does the package handle the redirection or do I need to use Cpanel to create regular redirects? I tried several different approaches and had no Joy. I had Hosting Cpanel redirects for iphone.blar.not, I tried at the domains cpanel and I tried with just the apps settings toggled in different configs. Nada! It isn't a deal breaker, but it would look cool for mobile visitors - they would be under the impression that they were special. LOL Little do they know how easy you guys have made this task!

In summing up the project is first class! I had never looked at mobile web content presentation before last night. After a quick look in the JED and following some leads on your original project plus one spin-off, I got here. Downloaded installed, lost sleep, pissed of several friends (who I recruited as remote testers) and finally after 4-6 hours fully functioning, well presented mobile content pouring from the site! A couple of hours later, I had made some rough changes to the template CSS and some graphics, now it looks like it has always been part of the site! F***ing Amazing!

I really can't complain - my few moments of torment were a small price to pay! You have helped me achieve something beyond what I imagined possible - as is so often the case with the Joomla community. I don't earn anything from joomla, but if and when I can I shall be contributing to your cause. I will also try and encourage anyone I install it for to donate what they can.

As a little side note...I also like your site design, it has a certain class about it, that fits in well with the over all vibe I have of this project.

Great Work team! Now write a bloody detailed manual and take the rest of the afternoon off!

Take it easy out there,

A Big Fan
AKA Jeffrey Archer

Oh and I found these things invaluable for working out what the hell was going on...

iPhone test from your PC

Firefox agent switch plugin

The current import list for agents

And My Nokia 6230i WAPPY which is the perfect phone in my eye's.

I would just like to say... 13 years, 11 months ago #1681

• heidiro
  • Fresh Boarder
Clone,
Thank you for posting your comments about Mobile Joomla, and I found it most helpful as I am a complete moron when it comes to Joomla. The Wiki helped a little bit, but I'm totally lost as to how to customize this feature.

Currently, my sites look exactly the same on my Android (HTC) phone as on my pc - in other words, I don't think they're being redirected. This could be because I have nothing in the "home-page" field in the component, but I'm not sure where to get that information?

Also, I found the additional modules created by the new templates (which aren't visible on my phone), but I have no idea how to adjust those either. Do you have any insight into how to customize this stuff as a complete novice?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.