Username Password: Remember me

iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site

iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 11 years ago #14388

• leoarce
  • Fresh Boarder
i can't figure out why this is happening.  whether you been to the site before and activate cookies or it's your first time there, phones show desktop template and not mobile template.

please help.

hi-techms.com

thanks.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 11 years ago #14390

• leoarce
  • Fresh Boarder
only way i could force mobile to use mobile template was to add either this:
/index.php?ui=iphone
or this:
/index.php?device=iphone

but that only works if someone types that in the mobile browser, but we all know that's not practical or convenient.

i tried to force one of those url's in the joomla mobile settings where there is a force homepage setting, but i couldn't just type a url in there.  i had to choose a menu item from the form field below.

but then another issue, can't select every menu item in that form field for some reason. some are selectable, some are not.

i tried creating a home menu item with the forced url, but couldn't select it.  i could select a different menu item to an inner page though, and that's my current, ugly work-around.  now people will go to mobile template on a mobile, but it has to be an inner page.  the home menu item in mobile and also the top logo both have the forced mobile url in order to go home.  if  the forced url wasn't there, the mobile device would go to homepage but on desktop template.

so basically, buggyness all around.

if someone could tell me why, and how to fix it, that would be great.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 11 years ago #14391

• leoarce
  • Fresh Boarder
i tried 2 of the 3 options as far as how to get mobile to show correct homepage.

option 1: url
option 2: alias
option 3: frontpage component

i just tried the 3rd option, and it seems to be working as expected now.

that still leaves the logo that links to home.  wondering if i can take off that ugly parameter and it still works.

i mean this bit: /index.php?ui=iphone

i just tried it before submitting this reply, and that works too.

so i guess this whole thing stemmed from not using a correct home menu item type.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 11 years ago #14392

• leoarce
  • Fresh Boarder
i spoke too soon.

after clearing caches and cookies, it's back to the original problem.

mobile device shows desktop template.

can't crack this thing!

looks like it's back to the workaround which is to use an inner page as the starting page for mobile.

and even then i have a sneaky suspicion that it won't be solved somehow.  i really hate caches and cookies.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 11 years ago #14393

• leoarce
  • Fresh Boarder
yeah, this completely redonkulous!

when desktop is fixed to show desktop template, mobile shows desktop template.
when mobile is fixed to show mobile template, desktop shows mobile template.

this mobile joomla component endeavor was fruitless.  at least for this site it was.  used it in many other joomla sites and it worked well.  not sure if it's the latest version or what, but i need to fix this somehow, even if it's to uninstall mobile joomla and go with something else.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 10 years, 11 months ago #14738

I have the same problem, and it comes along with third-party extensions, in this case, JotCache for caching site.

No mater of cached content if i manualy type ?device=iphone it works, but, yeah... i cant write an instructions how people to visit my site trough mobile right?

So, i am looking for a solution too.

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 10 years, 11 months ago #14740

In JotCache plugin, you have to select Phone in Browser split section, clean cache and voila!

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 10 years, 11 months ago #14764

• hd00842
  • Fresh Boarder
I see it's still quite buggy

Re: iphone safari and android default browser show desktop site 10 years, 2 months ago #16925

Has anyone has any luck getting this to work right? I have phone and tablet split on my JotCache plugin. But once in a while some of my desktop pages will show the mobile site.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. This site will not function correctly without cookies.

I accept cookies from this site.